And the 2018 Awardees are…
As is tradition, every year at the DUMBO Improvement District’s Annual Meeting, we honor individuals and organizations in DUMBO who have contributed to the neighborhood in a significant way with a Magic Feather, and highlight those doing fascinating and impactful work in their industries with a DUMBO Dozen Award.
The 2018 Magic Feather Award will be bestowed upon:
- Tom Montvel-Cohen. Our long-running Board of Directors President, Tom was a driving force in the creation of the BID and has served the neighborhood admirably in his ten years as Chair.
And the following will be crowned the DUMBO Dozen:
- Artadia. Supports and celebrates artists in underrepresented cities across the country. Check out our Q+A here.
- Bluestone Lane. A pioneering Australian coffee chain with some new ideas, like a gluten-free bakery, an on-site roastery, and a bar. They've doubled down on DUMBO, opening a commissary and a roastery on Prospect St! Check out our Q+A here.
- Covey Law. Serves the needs of the international arts community— handling immigration, entertainment, and business matters for musicians, actors, dancers, visual artists, record labels, talent agencies, theater companies, and professionals working throughout the creative and tech industries. Check out our Q+A here.
- Dolphy Hazel. An OG Dumbonian and neighborhood icon. We celebrate his musical, creative legacy in memoriam.
- FEED. Last year, Feed hit a major milestone: one million meals provided to children in need, funded through sales of their beautiful products. Plus, their store and cafe at Empire Stores— their first foray into retail!— is a huge hit with locals and tourists alike. Check out our Q+A here.
- Thea Grant. A jewelry collection designed and produced in Brooklyn, NY by husband and wife partners Thea Grant and Nicolás Bazzani. Check out our Q+A here.
- Laundry Service. Strives to create meaningful, quality advertising content for some of the most well-known companies around. Check out our Q+A here.
- L’École Valrhona. Valrhona is the purveyor of some of the best chocolate in the world— and now, learning how to create fancy chocolate confections is made easier with classes at their North American headquarters. Check out our Q+A here.
- MediVis. Seeks to better the medical world with the use of augmented reality and proprietary holographic rendering. Check out our Q+A here.
- Oswalds Mill Audio. Revolutionizing the way we think about audio equipment and sound quality. Check out our Q+A here.
- Quip. Changing the way we brush our teeth with a beautifully designed and useful electric toothbrush. Check out our Q+A here.
- Roads & Kingdoms. A James Beard-Award winning magazine, delivering insider info on locations exotic and near, straight from the locals. Check out our Q+A here.
- Scout the City. Insta-tales and tips on fashion, life, and more from one of our most glamorous DUMBOnians. Check out our Q+A here.
Join us in honoring these amazing awardees, and their contributions to our neighborhood, at our Annual Meeting on April 25.