Fall Kids Classes Roundup!
Whether you are bringing up an cartoonist, an actor or a very eager soon to be preschooler, DUMBO will be filled with classes for your little ones this Fall. Take a peek below at some of our favorites. For a full list of classes and descriptions, click on the the title of each location and check out their website!
- Preschool Prep, 2s, 3s and 4s
- NYKC's Preschool mission is to enrich the whole child, meaning physically, emotionally, socially, and intellectually, and so our environment is intentionally structured to cultivate all of these types of growth. Their classrooms feature songs, stories, and art, thereby creating a warm, nurturing space for learning. Classroom learning is paired with play in our state-of-the-art gymnastics facility where the development of your child's strength and confidence will be encouraged. The combination of their classroom and their gym will provide a unique and progressive learning environment that will support your child's individual development. Here is a sneak peek into their award-winning Preschool Program!
Babies in Motion
- Ages: 5-8 months old
- This introductory movement class for babies 5-8 months is full of age-appropriate activities that promote cruising, crawling and, eventually, that elusive first step. As an active adult participant in the class, you will be there every "step" of the way as your child builds motor skills on the trampoline and soft play mats, learns through music, puppets and sensory props, and enjoys social time with parachutes and bubbles. All activities take place in a safe, clean, nurturing environment. This is an adult participation class; a parent or caregiver must be present with each participating child.
Foundation Masterclass in Art for Beginners
- Ages: 5-9 years old
- Learn the fundamentals of painting & 3D artworks as you delve into creative play. Students engage in a more in-depth exploration of materials: Painting on Canvas: Acrylic, Watercolor, Found Object Art including: machine parts, re purposed toys & recycled materials, fabric, thread, yarn etc. Work with glitter, jewels, paint pens, colored markers, chalk pastels, oil pastels, and colored papers or newspaper collage. Super fun & informative!
Cartooning for Beginners
- Ages: 5-9 years old
- Love cartoon characters and want to design your own? Develop your drawing skills and create characters through visual storytelling in this fun introductory cartooning class. Classes will explore the technique of drawing, specifically for comic book art, develop skills in shading, tone and composition as well as character design! Beginners & Intermediate students welcome.
- Age: 3-14 years old
- The Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet Children’s Program was created for aspiring dancers ages 3 – 14 who want to experience the joy that comes from dancing. Our goal is to have our young students develop creative movement skills, musicality, rhythm, coordination, expression, character, and confidence. The classes foster a nurturing environment that enables each child to learn life skills and form a lifelong love of ballet and the arts.
- Ages: 6-12 years old
- Every child learns and develops at their own pace. Little Gym's kids Gymnastics classes in Dumbo give your child the chance to tackle new challenges at their own skill level. Celebrated with cheers and high-fives, each new achievement leads to newfound confidence, determination and a desire to continue improving.
WonderKids Pre School Prep
- Ages: 3-6 years old
- WonderKids Club™ is a preschool prep program in Brooklyn that extends The Little Gym experience with active learning and center activities, arts and crafts projects and various art media, story time, and creative play with LEGO® DUPLO® bricks. Their immersive play and learning activities help prepare kids for success in school.
Creating Your Own Character
- Ages: 4-9 years old
- This age range encompasses children at their most spectacularly imaginative. In this class, we encourage the students to use that imagination to create a world and character(s) all of their own. They will learn theatre games, improvisation, listening and communication skills, as well as how to devise an original play.
Acting Technique and Scene Study
- Ages: 10-14 years old
- This class focuses both on improvisation and scene study with a focus on various acting techniques. At this age, students are able to develop a physical and emotional connection to characters and scenarios presented to them. The first half of the session will focus on theatre games, improvisation, clowning, and devising their own work, with the second half focusing on close scene study. By the end of the session the students will have created and written their own work as well as memorized and staged scenes from classic plays assigned by the instructors.
- Ages: 1.5-2.5 years old
- Preschoolers will get a head-start on independent participation through a gentle separation process. In a classroom setup for learning and play, students will be exposed to a true preschool environment with art exploration, story time, music, play, transitions and more to provide social, cognitive, and physical development.
Art, Music, Imagination
- Ages: 1-2 years old
- Each week, this combination class will begin with a story that will serve as the inspiration for a musical component and art project. We will read both classics and contemporary children's books and then incorporate puppets, parachutes, bubbles and other props into a sing-along. Class will end with an art project related to the story. The transitions from story to music to art, along with the use of props, will keep your little ones engaged in this stimulating and enriching class, while also providing a great introduction to a preschool environment!
- Ages: 3-5 years old
- Tiny tappers is a high-energy tap class focused on increasing the strength, flexibility and coordination of little dancers. Students will work to develop their gross motor skills and improve their ability to recognize beats and rhythm. Learning basic tap steps and techniques, students will dance to jazz music and Broadway beats while kicking up their heels in a lively and musical environment!
- Ages: 2-5 y/o
- Brooklyn’s own waterfront offers endless ways to explore nature up close! We’ll get our hands a little dirty, have a close look at some of the plants and animals in our Brooklyn backyard, and create hands-on projects inspired by our outdoor adventures. Taught by BCM educator.
Spanish at Spark
- Ages: 9-36 months old
- Through game-based interactions children build cognitive, fine-gross motor, social and artistic skills. Children become accustomed to listening and speaking in Spanish.
Early Childhood Music Program.
There are two courses, both for 4-7 year olds.
1) Do Re Mi Theory (Music theory–learn how to read and write music)
2) Do Re Mi Piano (Piano for the complete beginner–learn how to play piano)
8 classes each. $400 per course. Piano discount for the student who signed up.
Early Nature Experiences
- Ages 2-4 years old
- Introduction to science and nature in an authentic, yet kid-friendly setting. Each week we focus on a new nature theme with storytime, sing-alongs, animal interactions, and an outdoor adventure in the park! Program takes place at the Environmental Education Center in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Get the details here.
Balorette Martial Arts
Ages 3-5. The Little Dragons program is designed to be educational, exciting and fun. We lay the foundation for your child’s success by teaching the importance of cooperation, listening and concentration.
Ages 6 – 11. The Junior Program emphasizes the principles of the martial arts through a challenging and fun curriculum. This program’s curriculum is a combination of martial arts and life skills.
Ages 5 – 11. Children with Special Needs thrive on structure and discipline. Barolette Martial Arts is a unique way to provide consistency and repetition by learning techniques and fun exercises.