Fall Kids Classes Roundup!
Whether you are bringing up a movie-maker, illustrator or a very eager soon to be preschooler, DUMBO will be filled with classes for your little ones this Fall. Take a peek below at some of our favorites. For a full list of classes and descriptions, click on the the title of each location and check out their website!
NY Kids Club
- 2-36 months (with adult participation), 2s, 3s and 4s
- NYKC's Preschool mission is to enrich the whole child, meaning physically, emotionally, socially, and intellectually, and so our environment is intentionally structured to cultivate all of these types of growth. Their classrooms feature songs, stories, and art, thereby creating a warm, nurturing space for learning. Classroom learning is paired with play in our state-of-the-art gymnastics facility where the development of your child's strength and confidence will be encouraged. The combination of their classroom and their gym will provide a unique and progressive learning environment that will support your child's individual development. Here is a sneak peek into their award-winning Preschool Program!
Traditional Drawing & Illustration
- Ages: 5-8 years old
- This course introduces the fundamentals of drawing through a number of exercises and assignments focusing on exploration of materials (pencil, pen & ink & pastels), building a comprehensive drawing vocabulary, investigations into value scale & color, composition and personal style. The course features open studio time & discovery and analysis of artists’s works (past & present) to inspire students own work.
Introduction to Stop-motion Animation
- Ages: 5-8 years old
- Love animated movies and want to create your own? Develop your animation skills through visual storytelling in this fun introductory class. Classes will explore the technique of stop-motion animation, including storyboarding, lighting techniques, clay characters and more! Students are required to bring their own iPad/Phone/Pod.
Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet
- Age: 3-14 years old
- The Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet Children’s Program was created for aspiring dancers ages 3 – 14 who want to experience the joy that comes from dancing. Our goal is to have our young students develop creative movement skills, musicality, rhythm, coordination, expression, character and confidence. The classes foster a nurturing environment that enables each child to learn life skills and form a lifelong love of ballet and the arts.
A Balanced Approach: Grade School Gymnastics
- Ages: 6-12 years old
- Every child learns and develops at their own pace. Little Gym's kids gymnastics classes in Dumbo give your child the chance to tackle new challenges at their own skill level. Celebrated with cheers and high-fives, each new achievement leads to newfound confidence, determination and a desire to continue improving.
Get Rolling: Pre-K Gymnastics
- Ages: 3-6 years old
- Watch your kid go from cartwheels to confidence with lots of giggles along the way. Little Gym's program for toddlers and kindergarteners has been specially designed to help your child channel their boundless energy and reach developmental milestones in a structured environment.
Creating Your Own Character
- Ages: 4-9 years old
- This age range encompasses children at their most spectacularly imaginative. In this class, we encourage the students to use that imagination to create a world and character(s) all of their own. They will learn theatre games, improvisation, listening and communication skills, as well as how to devise an original play.
Acting Technique and Scene Study
- Ages: 10-14 years old
- This class focuses both on improvisation and scene study with a focus on various acting techniques. At this age, students are able to develop a physical and emotional connection to characters and scenarios presented to them. The first half of the session will focus on theatre games, improvisation, clowning, and devising their own work, with the second half focusing on close scene study. By the end of the session the students will have created and written their own work as well as memorized and staged scenes from classic plays assigned by the instructors.
- Ages: 1.5-2.5 years old
- Preschoolers will get a head-start on independent participation through a gentle separation process. In a classroom set up for learning and play, students will be exposed to a true preschool environment with art exploration, story time, music, play, transitions and more to provide social, cognitive, and physical development.
- Ages: 2.5-4 years old
- Join us for a journey into the world of dance! Over our 13 week class, we will explore ballet, jazz, theater, and hip-hop dancing, allowing our little ones to bust a move in a variety of genres! We will have four 3-week mini-sessions, and then put it all together our last week for a performance. You will love what your tiny dancer learns!
Private lessons in the Dumbo store location (in-home lessons can be arranged at an extra cost) from Absolute Piano's experienced instructors. Contact the store via their website, or sign up in person.
45 minute lesson for beginning children emphasize establishing good habits and laying a solid foundation while making music engaging and enjoyable. For young children, we recommend frequent lessons.
Are you interested in taking your skills to the next level? Intermediate private lessons can help you go beyond the basics and expand your repertoire and range while opening up new possibilities for your performance.
Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy
Early Nature Experiences
- Ages 2-4 years old
- Introduction to science and nature in an authentic, yet kid-friendly setting. Each week we focus on a new nature theme with storytime, sing-alongs, animal interactions, and an outdoor adventure in the park! Program takes place at the Environmental Education Center in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Register here.
Barolette Martial Arts
Ages 3-5. The Little Dragons program is designed to be educational, exciting and fun. We lay the foundation for your child’s success by teaching the importance of cooperation, listening and concentration.
Ages 6 – 11. The Junior Program emphasizes the principles of the martial arts through a challenging and fun curriculum. This program’s curriculum is a combination of martial arts and life skills.
Ages 5 – 11. Children with Special Needs thrive on structure and discipline. Barolette Martial Arts is a unique way to provide consistency and repetition by learning techniques and fun exercises.